Re: What commands will compile a Kernel?

Thanks for the suggestion Paul.

Your command use a csh method, '>&', of associating stderr with stdout, where bash uses the '2>&1' to do the same thing. I prefer 'less +F' to accomplish the 'tail -f' so that I can move around the output when I'd like to.

I started using multiple 'make's with intervening '&&'s because the output from 'make oldconfig' suggested it. I didn't question or investigate why multiple 'make's, rather than a single make with multiple targets, were recommended. I did understand that 'make' can use 'include' files and that those files could conceivably be changed by any 'make <target>', so I simply followed the recommendation.

So does the 'make' procedure for building kernels use 'include' files and, if so, do any of the make targets affect the included files?

I'm happy to continue building as I have, but I'd like to be sure that it's a 'correct' way to build.