Kernel Compiling Woes

Hi All
I am trying to compile my own kernel from the source offered in the
package, Kernel-source-2.0.35-3.  I installed the package, untarred the
file it installed, went into the top level Makefile and changed
"ARCH=i386" to "ARCH=alpha".  When I do a Make config, a make
menuconfig, or a make xconfig. I get an error message immediately:

arch/alpha/Makefile:30: *** Missing Separator. Stop.

and am immediatly booted to the command prompt again.  Am I missing
something??

Thanks, Jeff