Re: RFS: rocalution/5.7.1-1 [ITP] -- ROCm library for iterative sparse solvers

A suggestion: The documentation package could include an examples
subdirectory in /usr/share/doc/librocalution-doc and it could install
the cpp files from the clients directory to it.  And the package could
provide a Makefile to compile them as well, since using cmake for that
purpose would be overkill.  /usr/share/doc/libgecode-doc/examples if
you want to check how I did it for Gecode.

Also, it wasn't obvious to me what an mtx file was that the samples
required, I found an example from
https://github.com/NVIDIA/AMGX/blob/main/examples/matrix.mtx.  It
wouldn't hurt to include an example of that as well.

On Mon, Feb 12, 2024 at 06:27:18PM -0700, Cordell Bloor wrote:
> The rocalution library is a C++ library with an extremely large number of
> symbols, so I've used shlibs rather than symbol tracking as per the
> recommendation of the Debian Policy Manual [2]:
>
>    /The |shlibs| system is a simpler alternative to the |symbols|
>    system for declaring dependencies for shared libraries. It may be
>    more appropriate for C++ libraries and other cases where tracking
>    individual symbols is too difficult./
>
> However, this is my first time creating a package that uses shlibs, so
> please give d/shlibs a careful review.

I see that you've added the Debian revision to the shlibs file.  This
should only be used if the ABI changes between Debian revisions.

Quoting the policy:

Dependency versions in either symbols or shlibs files normally should
not contain the Debian revision of the package, since the library
behavior is normally fixed for a particular upstream version and any
Debian packaging of that upstream version will have the same
behavior. In the rare case that the library behavior was changed in a
particular Debian revision, appending ~ to the end of the version that
includes the Debian revision is recommended, since this allows
backports of the shared library package using the normal backport
versioning convention to satisfy the dependency.

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "rocalution":

I'm available to make an upload.  I haven't been doing uploads in this
team yet so I don't know if there's some extra convention but I think
it's good to go if the Debian revision is dropped from shlibs.