Re: rocm-device-libs for clang-16?

Hi Christian,

On 7/4/23 15:57, Christian Kastner wrote:
Hi Cory,

I've been pondering this mail for a while, as it indeed seems that there
is no easy solution.

I was talking briefly with Gianfranco Costamagna about this on IRC and he pointed out something that I hadn't noticed:

# clang-15 -print-resource-dir /usr/lib/llvm-15/lib/clang/15.0.7 # clang-16 -print-resource-dir /usr/lib/llvm-16/lib/clang/16

It seems that there is a stable resource directory path in clang-16. Maybe we can add a rocm-device-libs-16 binary package and leave the existing rocm-device-libs unchanged ? Then both packages can exist simultaneously during the transition.

Though, I suppose there is a question as to whether that achieves anything of value. Even if a developer still has clang-15 and rocm-device-libs-15 during the transition, can it actually be used to compile anything if HIP has been built with clang-16? I don't know. That's something to investigate, I suppose.