Re: Re: Maintaining rocm-device-libs and rocm-comgr

> For us downstream, we could either switch to use your releases as
> source, or (I think cleaner) stick with the upstream source and
> incorporate the patches that are accumulated into the Debian package itself.

Well my concern is that there's some subtle breaking changes coming down the pipe in these components that will break stable LLVM (see original github issue). You'll need to do more than accumulate patches, as you'll need to also carefully revert changes that break functionality changes.

I want to take the clean approach, I really do, but it's becoming very challenging with the current model and upstream is not very interested in stable LLVM. As a result, I think with Fedora moving to LLVM 16, I'm going to switch to avoid pitfalls and hard to diagnose issues that go beyond just failing to compile.

Without going into too much detail, I've noticed that since I started maintaining these Fedora packages (since ROCm 5.0), over the releases the approach the ROCm compiler developers take is to continually develop against upstream LLVM (main development branch). They then just branch off when a ROCm release is coming and they keep the release branches pretty static, only cherry-pick critical fixes as needed. This means that it's pretty easy to see when history diverges and fixes come in, so in theory it should make maintenance easier.

Anyway, feel free to take whatever approach works best for Debian, but if you decide to follow suit and take my sources, I am more than happy to collaborate :)
In other words, feel free to make github pull requests or email patches to me directly.

Best of luck