Re: Updating rocr-runtime to 5.7.1

Hey all,

On 2023-11-26 06:55, Cordell Bloor wrote:
> I was updating rocr-runtime from 5.2.3 to 5.7.1, but it seems that there
> were some precompiled shaders introduced in 5.3.0. I'm trying to find
> more information about these binary blobs [1].

rocr-runtime is a good example for the "schedule transitive
dependencies?" question I created an issue for [1].

rocr-runtime builds libhsa-runtime64-1, which only has two other reverse
dependencies:
 * libamdhip64-5 (src: rocm-hipamd)
 * rocminfo (src: rocminfo)

Given a new rocr-runtime upload, our current scheduler would only test
the above reverse dependencies, because all other packages depend on in
indirectly, through libamdhip64-5.

Two solutions come to mind:
  (1) We use the new "trigger" feature of the recently updated scheduler
      to trigger all other dependencies on rocr-runtime uploads
  (2) We schedule all reverse dependencies transitively, with the first
      non-ROCm packages being the terminators (we test them, but not
      their reverse dependencies)

I like (2) because I see the breadth warranted: an updated could indeed
break something along the chain.

The downside of (2) is that it does impose a substantial load. Though
this wouldn't be a problem now, as most workers are idle most of the time.

Thoughts? In any case, both solutions are trivial to implement.

Best,
Christian

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/rocm-team/rocm-dev-tools/-/issues/6