Re: The state of Intel compute/AI packages.

Hi Jakub,

On 2023-09-23 06:25, silex wrote:
I recently switched from AMD GPU to Intel ARC for my Blender and Stable Diffusion work.

It's perhaps a bit off-topic, but why was that?

Intel compute related packages in Debian are maintained under pkg-opencl-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org. Unfortunately that mailing list is riddled with spam, and from what I can see is not very active. Since the 4 of september intel-compute-runtime package has serious bug that makes it uninstallable with newest compiler: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1051189 That package also is couple solid months behind upstream.

The Debian OpenCL Team appears to be fairly active [1] and the bug that you cited has now been fixed. While I can understand your concerns, this is not a strong argument.

I'm writing about it here to maybe start a discussion whether it would be better to have AI/compute packages from all GPU vendors under the same roof?

That might be nice. It would make it easier for me to follow along with the work being done, however, it wouldn't really change what packages I could contribute to.

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/opencl-team