Re: rocBLAS on arm64 and ppc64el

On 2023-07-17 15:51 -0600, Cordell Bloor wrote:
>  the Tensile build times out after two and a half hours

AIUI the roc* stuff is all about using GPU accelerators. So when these
tests are run on our buildds (which in the arm64 case do not have AMD
GPU cards fitted SFAIK (do the amd64 buildds have them?). What is
actually being tested? Presumably fallback CPU-only paths? (which will
be most of why it's very slow).

There is a whole range of GPU and NPU acceleration hardware out there,
some of which is arch-specific, and some of which isn't. This is
particularly relevant to debian-science and debian-ai packages, and we
are presumably currently very limited in what we can test as a distro?

I wonder what subset of the possible combinations we should be trying
to test, and what facilities exist for us to do that testing on. It's
not practical for debian's buildds to cover very much of this space,
but perhaps 3rd parties could (or already do) provide hardware we
could use for testing? e.g if there is currently no place for random
OSS projects to test things like GPUs on arm64 then ARM could probably
be persuaded to do something about that. It might take a while, but
knowing what was actually useful would be a good start.

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Debian, Wookware, ARM
http://wookware.org/