Re: RFS: rocthrust/5.3.3-4~exp1 -- ROCm parallel algorithms library - tests

Hi Cordell, Hi Christian,

Christian Kastner, on 2023-07-12:
> On 2023-07-12 22:53, Cordell Bloor wrote:
> > Hi Étienne and Christian,
> >
> > I'm a bit unclear on our policy with these sorts of issues. Should this
> > be blocking the entry of rocthrust-tests into experimental?
>
> No, experimental is fine, or even unstable.
>
> Failing _autopkgtests_ are blockers for the (automatic) migration from
> unstable to testing.
>
> Maintainers can elect to skip failing tests, to allow migration to
> stable, because one failing test can block the entire source package
> from migrating, and that's annoying if the test only fails in a very
> rare way, or on some niche architecture, e.g. [3].
>
> > The tests are failing (and in a bad way), but they're just the
> > messenger. They exercised the system and revealed a preexisting
> > problem. To me, that seems valuable to end-users. It's a lot faster
> > to discover that some rocthrust function will cause problems on your
> > GPU by installing and running the test suite vs. being half-way
> > through writing your own program using librocthrust-dev and
> > discovering it via your own code.
>
> I emphasized _autopkgtests_ above because you are of course right: these
> particular tests (being hardware-dependent) have substantial value to
> end users, so it would make sense to allow them to migrate.
>
> So to get around the autopkgtest migration condition, what I would do
> eventually in debian/tests/upstream-binaries is to skip tests if a GPU
> is detected for which we can expect failure.

I uploaded rocthrust as-is to experimental, to put the package
into more hands, so furhter testing hopefully.  (I'm having
intermittent access to the keyboard at the moment, so need to
carefully choose what I do.)

Have a nice day,  :)
--
  .''`.  Étienne Mollier <emollier@debian.org>
 : :' :  gpg: 8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da