Re: ROCm Experimental ISA Compatibility

Hi folks,

I've made a few updates to my patches [1][2] and marked them as ready for review.

On 2023-05-01 21:19, Cordell Bloor wrote:
I've prepared a patch set [1][2] with the goal of enabling support for gfx902, gfx909, gfx90c, gfx1012, gfx1031, gfx1032, gfx1033, gfx1034 and gfx1035. It will require extensive testing, but I think it may enable Debian libraries like rocrand and rocsparse to run on nearly all Vega, CDNA 1, CDNA 2, RDNA 1 and RDNA 2 GPUs.

I have acquired an RX 6750 XT to test this patch set, as it is gfx1031 hardware. With the linked changes to rocr-runtime and rocm-hipamd, I've found that the existing rocrand and rocsparse binaries pass all tests, despite only having gfx1030 code objects.

This patch set also recognizes that gfx1011 is a superset of gfx1010. It therefore allows gfx1011 hardware to load gfx1010 code objects. This means that we could remove gfx1011 from the build architectures of our libraries, reducing the binary size slightly. I've tested running rocrand and rocsparse built for gfx1010 on a gfx1011 system without any problems.

More hardware support _and_ smaller binaries. You don't see that every day!

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/rocm-team/rocm-hipamd/-/merge_requests/5
[2]: https://salsa.debian.org/rocm-team/rocr-runtime/-/merge_requests/5