Re: Some kind words on free software AI

On 2023-05-05 20:04, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> and <URL:
> https://www.semianalysis.com/p/google-we-have-no-moat-and-neither >
> seem very fitting for this list.

I saw this on HN and while a LOT of the arguments ring true, I think I
have to point out (as the SemiAnalysis article also does) that this is
an individual opinion, and similar leaks in the past were not
representative of the opinions of whole institution, or sometimes even
factual.

It's true that one can do a lot with much less nowadays, but for some
tasks, you simply need vast amounts of GPU hours and/or vast amounts of
training data. These things can be crowd-sourced (see SETI@home and
ShareGPT) but we're not there yet.

To put a positive spin on this: the fact that so much progress is being
made is a huge motivating factor for me to also contribute to this effort.

Best,
Christian