Re: AMD RX6800 cards for AMD ROCm packaging

Hey

On 2022/10/22 12:49, Jonathan Carter wrote:
AMD is donating 4 AMD RX6800 cards to Debian, with the aim of improving ROCm packaging (and other GPU testing).

3 have been allocated, so there is one left for whoever needs one. Please let me know what you would like to use it for and I can ship it along.

2 of those cards is going into a reasonably beefy 2nd hand machine that I'll get soon. I'll set it up with VMs which have access to the cards so that if you need to experiment but don't have access to the hardware, you'll be able to do it via that VM. (I'll keep you posted on details on that).

Just a quick update: I got the machine, but even though it's a quite big machine, I still can't fit two of these cards in there (you actually need slightly more than two pci-e slots space to fit one card in). So this machine will have just one card, at least for now (perhaps I can get a riser cable, will look into that and other alternatives later on). The machine also doesn't have enough 8 pin power connecters (this GPU needs two), so I ordered a 2x molex to 8 pin adapter that should arrive on Saturday. I'll go ahead then and set it up.

I plan to do just something very simple, like adding a VM with GPU pass-through that can easily be reverted to some original snapshot. If there's better ideas or someone who'd like ssh access to implement something nicer, let me know off-list and I'll give you access.

> So, if you can use such a card to make a positive contribution, please
> get in touch.

That card is still available, so let me know if anyone needs it for any ROCm or AMD GPU related work.

-Jonathan