Re: ROCm 5.2.0 Release

Hi Cory,

Cordell Bloor, on 2022-07-02:
> On 2022-06-29 00:09, Étienne Mollier wrote:
> > M. Zhou, on 2022-06-28:
> > > Shall we bump the version or stay at 5.1.0 for a while?
> >
> > To my knowledge, there is a slight mix of various versions,
> > which may not be the recommended approach, but it seems to work
> > okay.  I suppose it would be worth at least aligning the
> > upstream versions.  There is also the compiler support that
> > might need to be taken into consideration, but that something
> > that will crop up as there will be attempts to build the
> > software.
>
> I think it's fine either way. The mathlibs for ROCm N are often built and
> tested with the compiler and runtime from ROCm N-1. The rocm-cmake package
> is the only one that _needs_ to be updated to continue working our way up
> the dependency tree. Of course, there's still more cleanup to do on
> rocm-hipamd [1], and it might not hurt to bump the version while fixing up a
> few of those issues.

Okay, so I guess the strategy of upgrading from bottom to top is
fair, in a similar order as the one packages are integrated into
debian.

> [1]: It's usable, but has sharp edges. The changes to HIP_COMPILER need to
> be removed from 0005-clang-14.patch; changing HIP_CXX_COMPILER should be
> sufficient. We also might want to patch --hip-version=<version> directly
> into the HIPCFLAGS / HIPCXXFLAGS in hipcc until we can figure out how to get
> that info to clang properly.

I agree there is room for improvement.  At the time of writing
that patch, clang-14 was not the default and it was the only way
I found to enable use of this particular version.  If I only
have clang-14 and corresponding toolset installed, then I don't
have the unversionned compiler commands, i.e. clang, clang++,
and llc, so the checks would fail if left unchanged.

Have a nice day,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <emollier@emlwks999.eu>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da