Re: rocsparse test data: the SuiteSparse Matrix Collection

Hi Cory,

Answering on the data part; this has been in my todo list for a
while, but I'm a bit drowned for some time.

Cordell Bloor, on 2022-10-24:
> The about page of the SuiteSparse page states that these matrix data files
> are licensed CC-BY 4.0 [2], so I suppose we could package them? The matrices
> are required for both rocsparse-test and hipsparse-test, so an independent
> package might be good to avoid duplication. If that is the right approach,
> are there any good examples of existing data file packages to draw
> inspiration from?

Licensing under CC-BY 4.0 makes these data files suitable for
packaging I think.  The approach you suggest is sound,
especially since the resulting package will be useful in more
that one context.  An example I can think of (but there are
maybe more obvious ones) is resfinder-db[3].

Other data packaging approaches involve multi upstream tarball,
scripting (in older packages), or injecting small samples in the
debian directory (warning with this approach, as there is one
debian tarball per package upload, while the upstream tarball
remains untouched without newer version, thus large datasets
tend to bloat the archive if in debian/).

> The libraries themselves are significantly easier to package than their
> tests. Do you think I should finish up the packaging of the sparse libraries
> and leave the packaging of the test and benchmark utilities for later? Or
> should we resolve the issue with the test data before continuing?

It is not a huge deal to get the test suite packaged afterwards,
I believe (by contrast with renaming packages or introducing new
ones).  Of course it's always better to get them in working
conditions as early as possible.

> [1]: https://sparse.tamu.edu/
> [2]: https://sparse.tamu.edu/about
[3]: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/resfinder-db

In hope this clarifies things,
Have a nice day,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <emollier@emlwks999.eu>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da