Re: rocthrust copyright review

Hi Cory,

Cordell Bloor, on 2022-11-28:
> On 2022-10-19 15:52, Étienne Mollier wrote:
> > There are several tools to proceed to the review: decopy,
> > scan-copyrights, licensecheck.  They may behave slightly
> > differently but mostly do the same thing.  I personally mostly
> > use scan-copyrights to bootstrap my entries, but I can't really
> > tell you which tool is the best, you may have to pick a few ones
> > and give them a try.  In any case, once filled with automated
> > information, I try to crunch the result to make it more easy for
> > humans to read, and manually check every files for copyright
> > information.
>
> I began the copyright review for rocthrust, but I found the process rather
> overwhelming. The rocthrust library is a port of NVIDIA Thrust, so there's a
> mix of AMD and NVIDIA-authored code. The review is not as simple as some of
> the other libraries. I think I will try my luck with the copyright review
> for rocsparse instead. I'll come back to rocthrust when I'm more
> experienced.

Urgh, indeed, that's not the easiest d/copyright to wrap up in
the world.  Best I can suggest is to divide and conquer one
directory after another, and do something else in between.  This
process can range from being pretty boring to downright
disheartening, particularly when hitting conflicting statements.
From quick glimpse in rocfft[1], this one looks much saner as a
starting point, in terms of d/copyright wrap up; you may want to
begin there.

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/rocm-team/rocfft

Side note: I vaguely recall you mentioned having a gpg key.  If
it has the required cryptographic strength (RSA/4096 or Ed25519)
please don't hesitate to use it, to sign your contributions.  If
it does not meet the requirements, don't hesitate to create a
new one[2].

[2]: https://wiki.debian.org/Keysigning

Have a nice day,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <emollier@emlwks999.eu>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da