Re: Building rocRAND with Debian HIP

Hi Cory,

Cordell Bloor, on 2022-05-23:
> Please enjoy your trip, Étienne! I know you probably won't have a chance to
> take a look at this until next week or later, but I thought I'd share my
> experience while it's fresh in my mind. Below are the changes to the Debian
> HIP packages that were required for building rocRAND.

Thanks for sharing your experience on attempting to buid further
ROCm components with the current state of hipcc.  I brought some
of the changes you suggested to the rocm-hipamd packaging
repository.

While I did not manage to start the rocrand build process yet,
as I am still seeing the following in the current state, during
a build attempt:

	[…]
	-- Performing Test COMPILER_HAS_TARGET_ID_gfx90a_xnack_on
	-- Performing Test COMPILER_HAS_TARGET_ID_gfx90a_xnack_on - Success
	-- Performing Test COMPILER_HAS_TARGET_ID_gfx1030
	-- Performing Test COMPILER_HAS_TARGET_ID_gfx1030 - Success
	CMake Error at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/hip/hip-config.cmake:42 (message):
	  File or directory /usr/lib/include referenced by variable hip_INCLUDE_DIR
	  does not exist !
	Call Stack (most recent call first):
	  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/hip/hip-config.cmake:127 (set_and_check)
	  cmake/VerifyCompiler.cmake:34 (find_package)
	  CMakeLists.txt:116 (include)

the rocrand build attempt did allow me to catch a few issues in
the packaging of romc-hipamd (which might have otherwise been
caught by an autopkgtest).  I think that has been overall a
useful exercise.  With regards to the attempt, I don't exclude
that I might have misinterpreted one of your items, but it is
also possible that it covers your:
> There's still a few mysteries to track down with regards to the HIP package,
> but these are pretty minor issues! It's great to see that with a handful of
> tweaks, we have something usable.
>
> With respect to the packaging of rocRAND and the rest of the math libraries,
> I don't think it's worth worrying about them too much quite yet. We can take
> a look when ROCm 5.2 is released, but there was a lot of turmoil with the
> file layout reorganization. In ROCm 5.2, my focus was ensuring that the new
> layout was available and that the backwards-compatibility symlinks and
> headers worked. Debian will want to build
> with-DBUILD_FILE_REORG_BACKWARD_COMPATIBILITY=OFF and I suspect you will
> find a lot of minor issues because that configuration has not been tested.
> Many of the libraries will probably themselves depend on the
> backwards-compatibility headers and symlinks until ROCm 5.3.

Ack, will try to focus on getting the rocm-hipamd in proper
shape to enter the archive, at least to reach the experimental
distribution.

Have a nice day,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <emollier@emlwks999.eu>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da