Question about how to handle HIP vs hipamd

Hi,

I was speaking to some of the HIP developers to help understand why HIP and hipamd are split into two source trees.
It seems like HIP is just the common headers and scripts, while hipamd is the vendor implementation.

While HIP is not technically implemented on other vendors, I believe the design is to provide vendor agnostic headers and scripts in the HIP source tree.

So, I'm thinking about the best way to package HIP on Fedora, and in turn help Debian packaging. My thought is to make a hip package based on the HIP source tree with two sub-packages: the "hip-utils" package with the scripts (bin directory [1]) and a "hip-headers" package with the headers (include/hip directory [2]). This was inspired by how openCL works with the opencl-headers package.

If this makes sense, then I'm going to draft up some patches to allow hipamd to build off packaged headers instead of requiring the full HIP source tree. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this.

Thanks

[1] hip bin directory: https://github.com/ROCm-Developer-Tools/HIP/tree/develop/bin
[2] hip include directory: https://github.com/ROCm-Developer-Tools/HIP/tree/develop/include/hip