Re: ROCm 4.2.0 Update

Hi Cory,

thanks a lot for this update!

On 28.05.21 23:15, Cordell Bloor wrote:
> Second, I wanted to mention that support for gfx1010 (e.g. RX 5700 XT)
> and gfx1030 (e.g. RX 6800 XT) has been merged to the public rocBLAS
> master branch.

I'm extremely happy to hear that. I'll be looking into an 6800 XT then
(although I'll probably wait until the GPU market turmoil has settled a
bit, hopefully by Q3).

> These architectures are not officially supported by ROCm
> and there is still an enormous amount of testing to be done, but I can
> at least report that both rocBLAS and rocSOLVER pass their respective
> unit test suites on the RX 5700 XT when built for gfx1010 with the
> official rocm-4.2.0 toolchain. I'd heard that finding supported hardware
> was a major hindrance to the Debian packaging effort, so I wanted to
> give you a heads-up that this is now possible. I should stress again
> that these architectures are not yet officially supported, but I would
> be happy to triage any problems you encounter in the linear algebra stack.

I think Debian generally does well adapting new tech, and although
official support would be nice, but far from a requirement. We have tons
of unofficial drivers and such.

However, do you happen to know if official support is planned at some point?

> If you're unfamiliar with the mapping of GPU architectures to product
> names, the LLVM AMDGPU User Guide is quite handy:
> https://llvm.org/docs/AMDGPUUsage.html

That's useful, I could never figure those out.

Best,
Christian