Re: Proposal for new version mangling rule when ML-Policy takes effect

On 10/9/20 3:21 PM, Mo Zhou wrote:
XS-ML-Policy sounds fantastic. But I'm not sure whether it involves
changing the apt/dpkg code? I think we'd better avoid touching these
code at the current stage.

The Policy permits the use of user-defined fields, as long as they have a certain prefix, see

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#user-defined-fields

The machine-readable copyright format policy permits the use of (apparently) arbitrary fields:

https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/#file-syntax

I concur with Andrius that debian/copyright is probably the more appropriate place for such a field, although the advantage of debian/control is that slightly it's easier to search by (grep-dctrl, and so on).