Re: AGX's User Profiles

AGX <agx@linux.it> writes:

> Ok, i'am looking into debconf but i didn't like it maybe because it does not
> what i need. I explain you about my project.
>
> I have a script called 'controlpanel', this script parse a directory
> into the same format of Gnome app bar (/usr/share/gnome/apps)
> for each file you can define a long name that is used on the menu
> and an app to be executed.
>
> So my controlpanel is arranged in 3 main menu':
> 	- hardware configuration (modem, mouse, netcards, soundcards, etc.)
> 	- system configuration (swap, network settings, etc.)
> 	- system administration (apache, postfix, etc.)
>
> As example, if you choose to configure the mouse i run
> 	/etc/init.d/mouse.rc configure
> that calls with exec
> 	/usr/local/lib/agx-userprofiles/mouse.sh
> this ask you about your mouse and save data into
> 	/etc/sysconfig/$PROFILE/mouse
> this config file is something like
> 	MOUSE_TYPE=ps2
> 	MOUSE_DEV=psaux
> the it recalls
> 	/etc/init.d/mouse.rc restart
> that close gpm, relink /dev/mouse to /dev/psaux, and restart gpm
> there are no recursion due to the use of 'exec'
> then finally it returns to the controlpanel.

You should port "/usr/local/lib/agx-userprofiles/mouse.sh" to use or be
aware of debconf and keep the rest. You might have to also use debconf
to extract the config options during restart, because the way debconf
stores its config data is not for you to know (because it might change).

Same with the network example. Better call debconf to do the actual
configuration (after porting your scripts)

> We are also developing a tool alternative to debconf, its called libgringo
> a simple library that let you write programs that run both in ncurses both
> under Gtk, this is to develop particular configuration script like current
> out usermanger that look very ugly with the dialog interface.

Console and Gtk are nice, but there are far more interfaces you would have
to add to compete against debconf (for configuration purposes).

Apart from that I don´t see the point in what you write. If you need menus,
use whiptail/gdialog for console/gtk look&feel. For other stuff, ggi might
be better, but I haven´t looked at how good the aa-lib target of ggi is
with text.

> I hope to have some clue from you on how to integrate this things in Debian
> if they are goot things.
>
> Regards,
> 	Antonio Gallo (AGX)
> 	http://www.badpenguin.org
>
> p.s.
> if my english look bad i can send you some source code :-)

By the way, if you want people to USE it, think about all those people
without gtk. Where would they have the controlpannel?

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin