Re: better than more admintools

> building a centralized configuration database is a worthy goal, but in the
> end it's really only half of the problem.

My goal to configuration admin has been to combine short descriptions as part
of the cascading structures.  The descriptions themselves can be the tags to
configuration data or they can be part of the configuration structure.  Once a
network is established, the data can be browsed.

XML will come into play in this field when the browsers are equipped with the
tools to read them.  XML is also considered an ideal vanilla storage medium,
mildly human readable, parsers will exist until the end of time.  A lot of
people are using them for config, esp apache.

Standalone operations will want highly compact and quickly readable objects;
the users will want want to browse and update the objects. My scheme has been
to keep them in perl persistant objects and generate a new file each time,
keeping a backup.

> debian seriously needs to attract some technical writers.
We could use some logo artists as well !!
===
John van Vlaanderen