Re: purposes

> 	An interesting editorial I looked at the other day said
> that caldera had a distribution that installed purely graphically,
> with minimal intervention.  The writer did comment that the whole
> setup was harder to administer in a traditional unix/linux manner,
> so it wasn't going to please anyone.

I gave the install to an NT admin as a test and the commercial boot loader
broke NT.

> 	Unix is not hard to administer.  Collecting all the
> info into one place is the harder part (that's where the folks
> at O'reilly make their money -- support.)

Unix is easy for Unixy people, the lions share of the human race cant make
heads or tails of it.

I believe the final word in admin will be a cascading structure which is simple
enough to educate the users as they dig into the systems.

The top layer would be net, disk, cpu and mem.  Under net you would find nfs,
but nfs would also be under disk, so you need the occasional link.

I built my admin and analysis structures this way last year, a little ahead of
their time.  Java seemed a no brainer but with what I have learned in the past
few weeks, I'm sticking with perl.

On the perl side, I am going to the Yet-another-perl-conf specifically to rally
support for a micro perl to front end installations.

I got introduced to deb via trinux (www.trinux.org), these guys are really
together, you might want to give them a holler.

> Chris
>

> --

===
John van Vlaanderen