Re: List is quiet again

Hi,

I noticed that myself.  I am a long time unix admin and have been w/ linux
since  Linus was undergrad.

I have been working with a variety of concepts similar to data mining for my
operations and analysis work w/ hpux as well as trying to understand where
linux is going wrt to the greater public (4.5 billion humans).

I also have a product with which I had an odd adventure, ThinMan, outlined in
www.thinman.com.

Basically I got burned by caldera, after three years of trying to develop a
product as a channel partner.  Also involved were philips employees.

Below I include an email I sent to some friends.

Basically most of my friends told me "I told you so", and now my postion is
that there is no longer a place for purely commercial software, only software
support, and that, by the hour.

Debian, or an offshoot, will fullfil this destiny, the sooner the better.

                    ############# Begin ##############
Yesterday, two companies that I had been talking to and with whom I had
been
sharing design and market information, both of whom promised a
partnership with
CXN, my company...

...announced a deal to build a thinclient, remarkably similar to
ThinMan, my
desktop offering.  The wording in their press releases is almost
precisely
lifted from an email that I sent to an executive of one of them.

The two companies are Caldera and Phillips, the deal is with AOL to
build the
the AOL TV set top box.  The email I sent was to Ransom Love at Caldera
and my
contact at Phillips (who stopped answering my calls) was Manjur Stanna.

The irony of the matter is that it is based on the Cyrix MediaGX and
National
Semicondutors is selling Cyrix and Cyrix will orphan the chipset.

                    #############  End  ##############
--- "Christopher G. Rhodes" <Christopher.Rhodes@Colorado.EDU> wrote:

> Linux is all over the news, with redhat and caldera
> coming in tops for kudos on usability and
> configurability.  One notable thing is that I
> don't see a lot about debian in the news.  Lots
> of stuff about Bruce Perens - he's very active.
>
> Speaking of Bruce Perens, way back I thought he
> said he decided to take control of this list and
> start providing some direction.  Then the list
> went dead again until recently.  Now it is quiet
> again?  What is the agenda?
>
> CR
>

> --

===