Re: COAS or linuxconf as an admin tool for Debian

[ it looks like the question was sent to the list, but it was addressed only to
  me ]
On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 03:08:53PM -0400, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> This thread seems to pop up every couple of months.  However, I haven't
> seen any resolution as to which (if any) should be used.  Does anyone have
> concrete experience using or packaging either tool for Debian ?  There
> have been attempts (see projects/experimental for an old version of linuxconf)
> but the maintainer gave up for lack of time.
I believe that the main problem with linuxconf is that its idea just violates
Debian policy.  Unless the policy is changed linuxconf cannot be used directly.
I believe that the main difference between COAS and linuxconf is that COAS
provides the unified method for reading and modifying the configuration
information. And this part should be borrowed.  Linuxconf (my knowledge may
show some age :) tries to control everything.  COAS does not.  It's up to the
developer of the certain program or system component to write CLAM
(administration modules) for accessing the configuration files in standard
(from POV of COAS) way.

--
Mike