*help*

Hello

please help to fix an abnormal error???

history: Linux works fine!
14 days ago the power regulater of my server goes dead. It died very slow
and many times linux started until fs2chk bigins to work.

since this event, following error occures:

no problem:
Linux Kernel 2.2.9, Debian 2.1
network is running (linux-server with squid), ethernet is ok with 2 Win98
clients and 1 WinNT Client
dialup connection to ISP is ok

PROBLEM - from clients
if I use a Browser (Netscape 4.6 or Explorer 4.0) it is no problem to get a
connection to the internet.
If I open the command prompt on a client and send a ping to a destination
which is in the local net not reachable - no dialing is initiated (error:
ping -timeout), or, if the connection to the ISP is active (error: ping -
host not available) no ping is possible!

Attention: From the server everything works fine! Only from the clients it
is not possible to make a ping  or telnet, or ftp .... outside the local
network!

my action:
I switched off squid and activated maskerading (IP-forewarding, like in the
last Kernel, I coud not found in "make xconfig"). ...the same effect!

I think, IP-forewarding is not set correct?!? How can I test IP-forewarding,
which configfiles are responsible? Which settings must be done to activate
IP-forewarding?

many thanks!

please answer to mailto:heiss.konrad@tauchmit.at

Heiss Konrad     -     BL-Thaur : Tel: 861 214 Post-Tel: +43 5223 5801 214
get my pgp public key from: http://www.pca.dfn.de/dfnpca/pgpkserv/