Re: COAS or linuxconf as an admin tool for Debian

On Sat, May 08, 1999 at 07:11:37PM +0200, Stefan Gybas wrote:
> Michael Sobolev wrote:
>
> > I believe that the main problem with linuxconf is that its idea just
> > violates Debian policy.
>
> Could you please explain this in more detail? Which part of our Policy
> is violated?
OK, my understanding of policy says that only the program that uses this
configuration file may change it.  Or a special program created for this very
purpose and which is provided by the same package that provides the program
with this configuration file.  Am I wrong?

> > Linuxconf (my knowledge may show some age :) tries to control everything.
>
> What do you mean by "tries to control everything"? Could you give some
> examples?
OK.  Maybe the situation has changed since the last time I check linuxconf. :)
I remember the slogan of linuxconf was `we start to control the system from
the very beginning'.  Has it already changed?

The first time I run linuxconf, it changed a lot of files I did not thinkg it
would.  For example, /etc/hosts. :)  And, I believe, linuxconf relies on the
information it *puts* in the configuration files.

But let me repeat I tried it a long time ago (two years? more?).  So my claims
are not up-to-date and the situation has drastically changed.

--
Mike