Re: COAS or linuxconf as an admin tool for Debian

On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 11:24:21PM +0400, Michael Sobolev wrote:
> [ it looks like the question was sent to the list, but it was addressed only to
>   me ]
> On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 03:08:53PM -0400, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> > This thread seems to pop up every couple of months.  However, I haven't
> > seen any resolution as to which (if any) should be used.  Does anyone have
> > concrete experience using or packaging either tool for Debian ?  There
> > have been attempts (see projects/experimental for an old version of linuxconf)
> > but the maintainer gave up for lack of time.
> I believe that the main problem with linuxconf is that its idea just violates
> Debian policy.  Unless the policy is changed linuxconf cannot be used directly.
> I believe that the main difference between COAS and linuxconf is that COAS
> provides the unified method for reading and modifying the configuration
> information. And this part should be borrowed.  Linuxconf (my knowledge may
> show some age :) tries to control everything.  COAS does not.  It's up to the
> developer of the certain program or system component to write CLAM
> (administration modules) for accessing the configuration files in standard
> (from POV of COAS) way.

I haven't had a chance to look at COAS but this sounds like a very good
idea. I was trying to think of a way to implement it myself but it looks
like it has already been done. I don't think we should even consider
linuxconf, it is flawed by design.

--
Stephen Crowley
Debian GNU/Linux - http://www.debian.org