Re: collect debian-admintools

Quoting guenter geiger <geiger@epy.co.at>:

> On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Michael Bramer wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > Debian have a lot of Admins Tools like adduser, magicfilterconfig,
> > linuxlogoconfig, pppconfig, gpmconfig, XF86Setup, and more
> >
> > Can we collect all this tools? I propose to use the menu system for
> > this. With the need="debianconfig" option, we can collect this and write
> > a [X11|gtk|kde|ncurses|.*]tool to find and use this tools.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> I think this should be mandatory for all configuration (postinst) scripts
> that require user interaction. Things like that have been mentioned more
> then once on the list, and I dont know what the new apt interface does
> with configuration scripts.  But anyhow, the user should have a
> possibility to look at packages which require configuration and be
> able to to reconfigure any time.
>
> If it is possible to find out if the postinst scripts need interaction,
> we could as well add them automatically.
>
> Guenter
>

> > Grisu
> > --
> > Michael Bramer -- a Debian Linux Developer        http://www.debian.org
> > PGP: finger grisu@master.debian.org   --   Linux Sysadmin   --  Use
> Debian Linux
> > "The Box said 'Windows NT or better', so I installed Debian Linux"

This can be easily done without changing the policy or anything else.
I can easily imagine an interface that let you run any scripts that it
knows to be a config script. As well as one that let you run a
dpkg --configure <package> any time you want, starting init.d and
configuring rc.d (one [many!] already exists, I know), making divertion,
configuring alternatives, managing packages ;)... However, this must be
made intelligently and a general purpose solution like the one suggest is
somewhat calling for trouble. e.g. running XF86Setup in a X session can
be really disastrous. BTW, most config apps should be accessible, with
the right options via the menu file systems. If you think one aren't
registrated and should be, feel free to fill a bug against it.

Fabien Ninoles        Chevalier servant de la Dame Catherine des Rosiers
aka Corbeau aka le Veneur                    Debian GNU/Linux maintainer
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                                    http://www.tzone.org/~fabien
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70