Re: Configuration frontend

First of all: could you please configure your editor to wrap your lines?
Right now it looks horrible. If you're using vim I suggest adding an
autocmd that sets the textwidth to 72 if you are writing email. Also,
please don't quote complete message when you reply, it's a complete
waste of bandwidth. TIA.

Previously Richard G. Roberto wrote:
> This sounds similar in principal to what I've been proposing for
> almost two years on this topic (even before this list was created).

I know. At the time I wasn't interested. Then I got a job to adminster a
network of Linux machines, which grew from 1 to 120 machines. Suddenly I
became very interested in this..

> Can this be re-worded into multiple phases that we can start refining
> in discussion?  It sounds like phase one is to have a configuration
> layer to interface with, and phase two is to provide a way to convert
> packages to interface to it.

In that numbering I'm currently working on phase 0: the database in
which we store everything. I agree with the next two phases.

> Can this be as simple as having an intermediate script simply
> take questions from a package installation script, present them to the
> user, get the user's response(s), and provide the answers to the
> package installation script?

Provided we allow for some controlflow between the two, yes.

> It may be difficult to get buy in from people if all we had was this
> first bit and a bunch of loose ideas about what to do next.

It's just as difficult to get people on a mailinglist to actually focus
on what you want them to focus on..

WIchert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl