Re: Configuration frontend

Stephen Crowley <crow@debian.org> writes:

> Has there been any talk of a central configuration frontend? I was thinking
> it'd be really nice to have something where each package registers a script,
> similiar to how the menu system works.
>
> The script would tell the frontend all the "variables" it has for lack of a
> better name, the data types for each var (ip address, string, number etc),
> default values and the valid range. You then modify them in the
> configuration  manager, their could two frontends to it at least, one gtk
> based and one console based (slang?). Then the program passes the var back
> to the script and the script could possibly report invalid values back,
> if all goes well it writes the confdata back to the file. Could there
> could be an "apply" command to write the conffile and restart the daemon?
>
> The generated config files should be easy to edit by hand, it shouldn't
> be dependent on storing some codes in comments for the script to parse or
> anything like that.
>
> Just an idea, please let me know what you think. I need some input before I
> start coding on this.
Please do think carefully about this!
I'm the author of The Dotfile Generator, which does a similar job, though
there are many nonoverlapping issues. I think this is a splented idea, but
please be aware of the complexity involved. Please check TDG at
http://www.imada.ou.dk/~blackie/dotfile/ and think about how you would
offer all the different configuration ways (That is checkboxes, textboxes,
and esp. extentries, window widgets and fillout widgets)

Kind Regards Jesper.