Re: dpkg modification: non-interactivity

Jesus M. Gonzalez writes:

> 	If you export the directories in the proper way, you can share a
> remote /usr without problems. For instance, if all your machoens are of
> the same arch, that's not a problem. If the server is, say, SPARC, while
> the clients are i386, it is enough it the server exports, for instance,
> /export/debian-i386/usr, while the i386 clients import /usr. In this
> case, one of the clients will have permissions for importing
> /export/debian-i386/usr rw, and will act as "installation master", while
> the rest import it ro.

Does anyone know whether the FHS-discussions have taken this up again?

When we discussed in in 1994 the agreement was that nothing could be done
about it "yet" in the (then) FSSTND and the versions of the FSSTND/FHS that
I have seen since then have never really addressed the issue...

But now several of us use a multi-architecture debian installations
running...

Here's a concrete problem that illustrates what I mean: Linux on alphas is
multi-architecture in that one can integrate a good i386 emulator in the
kernel (em86).  This could exploit an i386 "universe" shared from an
i386-linux.

Cheers,
	Kristoffer

--
Kristoffer Høgsbro Rose, phd, prof.associé  <http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~krisrose>
addr. LIP, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, 46 Allée d'Italie, F-69364 Lyon 7