RE: dpkg modification: non-interactivity

You're both down to 33% now ;-)

The first thing to realize is that this "problem" has been solved already (numerous times).  Having the interactive part of a package installation separate from the others makes sense, and is how SVR4 packages do it.  This needs to be done before installing the files most of the time because the questions may have some bearing on how (and which) files get installed.  Another Good Thing to do is to ship your package with sensable default answers to your questions so the users can opt not to answer any of them.

None of this requires changes to dpkg, however.  The package maintainer can easily call a separate interactive script from the pre or post-inst he/she writes, or even handle interactive parts of either script in some standard fashion without requiring another script (though I like the separate interactive script idea).  The main thing is being able to provide answers to the questions, either by providing an answer file, a method of querying a text database to get the answers, or answering them interactively.  The answer file idea is probably my choice since it doesn't require any other boiler plate to get it going, and allows maintainers to provide a default answer file a sysadmin could use if they don't care to provide custom answers.  The configuration database concept can be folded in later once the autoinstall was a reality.  Perhaps a shared script should be used to procure answers to questions so that changing things later is easier?

Anyway, I'm glad to see this list getting some traffic again.

Cheers,

Rich