Re: COAS & Debian (was: Re: Ease of use and configurability)

On Sun, May 03, 1998 at 03:23:25PM -0400, David L. Parsley wrote:
> On Sat, 2 May 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 01, 1998 at 08:17:00PM +0200, Kai Henningsen wrote:
> > > branden@purdue.edu (Branden Robinson)  wrote on 30.04.98 in <19980430151352.A24268@purdue.edu>:
> > >
> > > (I've asked that before: what's the current status of COAS, anyway?)
> >
> > Oh yeah. Bruce wanted to port it to Gtk.
> >
> > Obviously, this has somewhat changed.
>
> Um... 'obviously', I've missed something.  Why has that changed?

Well, bruce has left the Debian project. He may well continue with the port,
but he will not do it "for" the Debian project, and we can't coordinate
things based on assumptions. I have COAS here, but it does not compile
(yet).

As soon as I have the ncurses interface going, I will make a report to this
list and to debian-devel.

(BTW: COAS does use Python, ncurses and QT at the moment. I wouldn't say
that either is a good choice for Debian, but there you go... As we already
have perl and slang on the base system, it would be great to have interfaces
for that in COAS. Maybe later).

(BTWBTW: I think COAS is the reason why Bruce announced the use of Python in
his "new distribution". I think this new distribution will do a lot of dirty
work for Caldera/RedHat. But enough ranting, if you want to flame about
this, join my privat mail queue, not the list.)

Stay tuned!

Marcus