[Fwd: Linux administration tool]

--- Begin Message ---

There is already such a project called 'COAS' that is trying to do what
you say.  I think they are planning on using java for the GUI part.  Also,
part of the configuration of linux (the hardest in my opinion) is setting
up X windows correctly, and this will require a text interface which java
doesn't do very well.  It is a great idea though, maybe we can talk to
the COAS guys to see how far along they are with their java plans.

sean

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Platibus wrote:

> Here is an idea for a JFA application: a user interface for
> a Linux administration tool.
>
> We all love Linux, but it has not caught on in the office
> world, because it is hard to install and to administer.
> There is an effort underway at Debian (a free Linux
> distribution) to create such a tool.
>
> I believe that this can be done in a fraction of the time if
> you do it in Java than programming X. It would also be a
> good proof of concept for Swing. I think such a tool would
> have a great impact.
>
> It would compete with Windows. I see no problem there :-)
>
> It would also compete with Solaris, though, and Sun is our
> allie, so that is something to think about.
>
> Maybe the debian folks can give some feedback to both lists.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas

--- End Message ---