Re: COAS white paper draft

On 29 Oct 1997, James LewisMoss wrote:

>  Kai> Anyway, as long as *I* don't have to maintain it ... :-)

someone will ...

> <mode=toned-down-language-holy-war>
> The indent level determines the blocks of python code.  It is easy to
> do (with any half intelligent editor).  It reduces the clutter you see
> in most languages ( { and } anyone?), and it just uses what everyone
> does anyway (indent everything by block) as the block delimiters
> rather than requiring another set of begin/end, {/} delimiters.

Its a bit more structured than that even, and definitely
wreaks of fortran and the like.  I think most of us are too
used to free form programming by now to take to python
easily.  Especially since perl is definitely up to large
applications.  I've seen rediculously large perl
applications shared between different groups of programmers,
etc.  Just because perl programs can be difficult to manage
if poorly planned, written, etc., it doesn't mean they need
to be.

> I suspect (with no evidence to back this up of course) that most
> people would find Python much easier to maintain and read than perl.

That depends on the code.  I've seen C code that was very
easy to read, and I've seen high level flow charts and
state transition diagrams that confused the hell out of me.
Python was no doubt chosen with a little influence from the
boys over at RedHat.  Surely there will be hooks for perl
CLAMS and SLAMS and other oddments if the thing is at all
successful.

In any event, it sounds promising, as long as it doesn't
force us into restructuring our packages and default file
locations whenever and/or however Caldera does.

Cheers,

--

"Until we extend the circle of our compassion to all living
things, we will not ourselves find peace" -Albert Schweitzer

Richard G. Roberto