Re: ASIS, coinstall gnat-10 and 11, deprecate gnatgcc

Hi!

On 11/07/2022 15:12, Nicolas Boulenguez wrote:
Hello.

Anyone interested in Ada should read Jean-Pierre Rosen’s summary about
ASIS in the Download section of
https://www.adalog.fr/en/adacontrol.html.

A possible workaround is to generate ASIS trees with the last gcc
supporting them (10), but compile with the current default gcc
(currently 11).
For this to be possible, gnat-10 and gnat-11 need to be coinstallable.

More generally, coinstallability of compilers would slightly simplify
the GCC maintenance, and does not seem to cost much anymore.

I am not suggesting that normal users should be able to select a
non-default toolchain in their favorite IDE. This would be nice but
far more difficult.

Having a gnat-10 and gnat-11 package can bring confusion to users.
Most Ada libraries will be targeted at gnat-11 and they won't work
with gnat-10.

Then, what about providing an asis-gcc package that only provides the gcc+gnat
compiler renamed to whatever we want to fit the asis implementation as suggested
by JP.

One point that is not clear for me concerns the Ada libraries that
such compiler/tree generator would access.

If we compile with gcc-11 and run asis with a gcc-10, will it have
access to the same Ada libraries?

Stephane