Re: questions on gnat-gps

Juan Luis Freniche Ibañez <fdesp87@gmail.com> writes:
> Hello Ludovic,

I do not normally reply to private emails.  I am cc-ing
debian-ada@lists.debian.org so that other people can benefit.

> I am using ubuntu impish 21.10 and Ada with Gtkada.

We cannot comment on Ubuntu.  The rest of this email is only about
Debian stable.

> Initially I installed the Ada suite gnat-10 but gps is missing. So I
> went to GNAT Community and GtkAda Community,for which I have to live
> with one of the two errors:
>
>  * gtkada programs cannot be launched from thunar OR
>  * gps community cannot debug gtkada programs,
>
> depending upon if the gtkada is defined or not and how it is defined.

I hope and suppose you have reported these bugs to AdaCore?  Maybe they
can support you.

> Therefore I would like to come back to gnat-10 suite. I then found gps
> but for ubuntu 19-2, which requires older packages.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Once installed gnat-10 suite, can I install gps without these older
>    packages?

No.  You can however install Debian 10 "Buster" in a chroot or as your
main operating system; this includes a complete Ada suite based on
gnat-8, gnat-gps and Python 2.

> 2. Have you plans to make a gps version for gnat-10?

No.  15 years after being declared dead, Python 2 was removed from
Debian 11 "Bullseye", the current stable version, and so we had to
remove gnat-gps, which still depends on it.

> 3. Finally, when the new ubuntu (jamish) be in place, have you plans to
>    move the complete suite?

We have no plans for Ubuntu.

We do have plans for the next Debian 12 "Bookworm".  This includes
gnat-11 as the Ada compiler; all Ada packages are being migrated now.

If and when AdaCore complete the migration of GnatStudio to Python 3, we
will try to re-include it in Debian.  There is still a chance that this
happens in time for Debian 12 i.e. before January 2023, see
https://release.debian.org/testing/freeze_policy.html.