Re: May I ask why Gnade was dropped?

> * Björn Persson:
>
>> I see that there is no Gnade package in Jessie. I use Gnade in a
>> program, so now I'm trying to decide how to proceed. It might help if I
>> knew why the package was dropped. Was there some problem that prevented
>> it from working, or was it simply because no one was interested in
>> maintaining it?
>
> I think it was due to this bug:
>
>   <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=708885>

No, the maintainer of gnade could have fixed this bug easily, if there
were a maintainer.  The real reason was that the maintainer lost
interest and very few people used the package, to begin with.  See

https://bugs.debian.org/673750

> The removal request is somewhat confusing, it implies there was an
> FTBFS issue with more recent GNAT as well (because why would this
> block the gnat-4.4 removal?):
>
>   <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=754525>

That's only due to the nature of Ada and its consequences in the Debian
Policy for Ada: packages must be rebuilt and change names with each
major release of GNAT.  See
https://people.debian.org/~lbrenta/debian-ada-policy.html#Library-names-and-packaging-structure