Re: Query on building Gnat-4.9 from source.

Brian Drummond writes:
> apt-get -t testing source gnat-4.9
> su
> apt-get -t testing build-dep gnat-4.9
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Selected version '4.9.0-1' (testing) for gnat-4.9
>  gnat : Depends: gnat-4.6 (>= 4.6.4-2) but it is not going to be
> installed
> E: Build-dependencies for gnat-4.9 could not be satisfied.
>
> Now it seems that (having installed gnat-4.9) I shouldn't need to
> install a gnat-4.6 version in order to rebuild gnat-4.9 from source : so
> if you'll forgive a newbie question, what am I doing wrong here?

You're using testing, which is now in the middle of the transition from
gnat-4.6 to gnat-4.9 as the default compiler.  Use unstable, perhaps in
a chroot[1] and all will be fine.

I'll try to have a look at the bug you reported; I think I must take the
blame for it, since it happens in Debian and not in GCC built from
pristine sources.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-ada/2010/02/msg00003.html

Thanks for reporting this problem.