Re: The default Ada compiler for Debian 8 "Jessie"

On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 00:13 +0100, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> Hello.
>
> GCC 4.9.0 should be released in a few months from now, possibly in March
> 2014.  It is already available in experimental and Matthias Klose is
> actively working on it.  Apparently[1] he intends to make GCC 4.9 the
> default compiler for C, C++ and other languages as soon as it reaches
> unstable, on as many architectures as possible.

ghdl has been problematic because, being a compiler itself, it depends
rather closely on the sources of gcc. I can report that it has been
modified to build against gcc-4.9-20140112 (though I think the compiler
used to build it was gnat-4.8 rather than my build of 4.9) and the
result passed its testsuite.

So barring major changes between that snapshot and gcc4.9 release, ghdl
should not impede this transition if you decide to go for 4.9.

(However the current Debian ghdl package, awaiting sponsorship at
http://mentors.debian.net/package/ghdl is based on 4.8, and I think it
would be better to push this forward and update to 4.9 later rather than
wait for Gnat-4.9)

(Sorry I couldn't make FOSDEM. Dirk offered me a slot for the MSP430 Ada
project but timing and travel were problematic)

- Brian