Re: default directories in installed library projects

On Sun, 2014-03-16 at 11:12 +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> > I'd like to rephrase what Nicolas said.  GNAT can cross-compile and
> > that has been the case for years.  However, upstream GNAT will not
> > support multiarch anytime soon.
> >

> That conflicts with my experience.

> I don't want to tell you how to do your packaging, but if this doesn't
> work in Debian then I think it has more to do with how GNAT is packaged
> in Debian than with missing support upstream.
>
> For actual cross-compilation to a completely different architecture I
> would of course expect to need a separate cross-compiler.

Hi, when porting and bootstrapping GNAT for GNU/Hurd. I stumbled on the
problem of building a cross-compiler using Debian packages. I had to use
the upstream version of gcc together with a lot of tweaks to make the
build work (no native gnat programs were available)

Cross-compiler problems was caused by Debian patches removing the
gnattols-cross targets from gnattools/Makefile (as per gcc-4.6/gnat-4.6)

>From gcc-4.4-4.4.6/debian/changelog:
gcc-4.1 (4.1.0-2) unstable; urgency=medium
  * debian/patches/ada-libgnatvsn.dpatch: new.
    - Introduce a new shared library named libgnatvsn, containing
      common components of GNAT under the GNAT-Modified GPL, for
      use in GNAT tools, ASIS, GLADE and GPS.
    - Link the gnat tools against this new library.
    - Rerun autoconf (Matthias Klose).
 -- Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org>  Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:32:09 +0200

The breaking is related to the new libraries introduced in:
ada-libgnatvsn.diff, ada-libgnatprj.diff, ada-sjlj.diff and
ada-link-lib.diff. Especially in ada-link-lib.diff all cross building is
removed from src/gcc/ada/gcc-interface/Makefile.in

(this work was made over two years ago, in case somebody is interested I
can try to refresh from old notes).