Re: The default Ada compiler for Debian 8 "Jessie"

Hi,

On Mon, 3 Feb 2014, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
GCC 4.9.0 should be released in a few months from now, possibly in March
2014.  It is already available in experimental and Matthias Klose is
actively working on it.  Apparently[1] he intends to make GCC 4.9 the
[…]

I have just created the branch org.debian.gnat-4.9 in monotone and I
propose the following plan:

- starting right now, everyone interested (and in particular the
 maintainers I talked to at FOSDEM: you know who you are!) works hard
 on updating all the Debian patches for gnat-4.9; this is the top
 priority.

- at the end of March 2013 (two months from now), we review the state of
 gnat-4.9: is upstream GCC 4.9.0 released?  Is it in unstable?  Are we
 satisfied with the quality and stability of gnat-4.9? and we make the
 final decision as for the Ada compiler for Jessie.

- Immediately after this decision is made, we update all other packages
 to the chosen new compiler, starting with ASIS and PolyORB.

The obvious risk with this plan is that, if gnat-4.9 turns out not to be
viable, we'll have wasted two precious months for the big transition.

I think this is the right plan.

Cheers,

Phil.

--
Phil Brooke                      OpenPGP key: 1024D/50973B91 2000-12-19
                            (transitioning to 4096R/0E6F992A 2012-05-30)