Re: The default Ada compiler for Debian 8 "Jessie"

On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 00:13:39 +0100, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
Hello.

Hi,

GCC 4.9.0 should be released in a few months from now, possibly in March
2014.  It is already available in experimental and Matthias Klose is
actively working on it.  Apparently[1] he intends to make GCC 4.9 the
default compiler for C, C++ and other languages as soon as it reaches
unstable, on as many architectures as possible.

The maintainer of Ada in FreeBSD and Dragonlace has stated at FOSDEM[2] that he intends to skip GCC 4.8 altogether for Ada and package GCC 4.9 instead (but note that the default C and C++ compiler on FreeBSD is now
clang/LLVM, not GCC).

Debian 8 "Jessie" will be frozen on November 5, 2014 [3], which leaves
us 9 months to transition all Ada packages to the next default Ada
compiler.

gnat-4.8 has been in Jessie (testing) since November 2013 but gnat-4.9
does not exist at all yet.

We are faced with a tough choice for the next default Ada compiler. If
we choose gnat-4.8, then the transition of all packages can start
immediately but Jessie ends up with an "old" compiler (4.8.0: March
2013) which is not the default for other languages and which is
different from the one in FreeBSD.  If we choose gnat-4.9, this will
allow better support for Ada 2012 (e.g. contracts and other aspects) and
probably a more recent version of PolyORB too.

I vote for as much support of Ada a2012 we can get.

I have just created the branch org.debian.gnat-4.9 in monotone and I
propose the following plan:

- starting right now, everyone interested (and in particular the
maintainers I talked to at FOSDEM: you know who you are!) works hard
  on updating all the Debian patches for gnat-4.9; this is the top
  priority.

I won't attach a photo of me, but right now I have my Debian maintainer costume :)
I should spent a good part of my work at lab to support gnat-4.9.

- at the end of March 2013 (two months from now), we review the state of gnat-4.9: is upstream GCC 4.9.0 released? Is it in unstable? Are we satisfied with the quality and stability of gnat-4.9? and we make the
  final decision as for the Ada compiler for Jessie.

- Immediately after this decision is made, we update all other packages
  to the chosen new compiler, starting with ASIS and PolyORB.

As soon as we have a start of gnat-4.9 available may be we can start to work in // on ASIS and PolyORB ?

The obvious risk with this plan is that, if gnat-4.9 turns out not to be
viable, we'll have wasted two precious months for the big transition.

Objections?  Commitments?  Exuberant enthusiasm?  Lukewarm support?
Please tell me...

You know what ? I'm an Exuberant enthusiasm :) Indeed I already downloaded the org.debian.gnat-4.9 :)

xavier

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-gcc/2013/12/msg00034.html
[2]

http://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~dirk.craeynest/ada-belgium/events/14/140201-fosdem/10-ada-bsd.pdf