Re: [Ghdl-discuss] Progress on GHDL Debian package

Hello Brian, Nicolas,

I have been working on integrating Brian's patches into a GHDL Debian
package based on gcc-4.8. This is coming along nicely, but I have a few
questions.

I am still uncertain about the best way to handle the upstream
situation. Normally, a Debian maintainer takes the latest upstream
release and optionally applies specific patches to fix important bugs.
In the case of GHDL, the latest release is 0.29 which is very old.

My current approach is to take the latest SVN snapshot from
http://gna.org/projects/ghdl/ as baseline and to add selected patches
from Brian's repository http://sourceforge.net/projects/ghdl-updates/
as Debian patches. Brian is currently making fast progress with fixing
real, reported bugs in GHDL. This could result in a large number of
Debian patches in my package.

An alternative is to switch to Brians's sourceforge repository as
upstream baseline. However I don't want to do that unless there is
consensus within the GHDL community that Sourceforge is THE new upstream
repository.

I would love to know Tristan's view on the future of the Gna
repository. Are we in principle still working towards an upcoming
release of GHDL 0.30?

Finally, some specific comments on the current Sourceforge patch set:
* I have completely dropped changeset ff92a40ea4d9 which was required
  under gcc-4.7 to avoid an internal compiler error on 64 bit. It seems
  that this patch is no longer needed with gcc-4.8. Brian, do you agree?

* With regard to the Start_Choice function, I'm still using your
  original patch which adds a Value parameter to the function. Passing
  this context as a parameter seems to me fundamentally cleaner than
  passing it through a static variable.

* There is an "OSVVM" patch in changeset 5594d173a2d3 wich looks
  intrusive and I don't understand its purpose. Could you provide a
  reference to a bug report or further information?

My work on the package is available for inspection here:
https://github.com/jorisvr/ghdl_debian
Once it stabilizes, I will upload ghdl_0.30~svn20130213-4 to Debian
mentors.

Regards, Joris.