Re: GCC considering enabling Ada by default

* Ludovic Brenta:

>>> I think it is premature to speculate about the outcome of this thread.
>>> Moreover, the discussion so far has been only about which languages to
>>> enable *by default*, not about changing the bootstrapping process
>>> completely.  Nothing in this thread suggests that a change to the Debian
>>> packaging should be necessary.
>>
>> Nevertheless, I guess I should mention the version discrepancy on that
>> list.  In the past, bootstrapping with the C and Ada compilers built
>> from separate GCC releases was not supported.
>
> What version discrepancy? i.e. between the version of what and the
> version of what?

gnatgcc and g++ (4.6 vs 4.7 in wheezy).

> Note that gnat-X.Y contains its own copy of the C compiler
> (/usr/bin/gnatgcc) so there is no situation where the C and Ada
> compilers have different versions.

There's no gnatg++, and GCC is now mostly compiled as C++ (but not
exclusively).  Mixing different C and C++ compiler versions is
probably not supported upstream.

>> What's the reason for the version difference in Debian?  Better
>> tooling support outside GCC for older releases?
>
> I'll be able to answer when I undertsand what you mean by "the version
> difference in Debian" (i.e. between what and what?)

Why isn't GNAT built from the regular gcc-4.7 source package?