Re: problems with building adabrowse

darkestkhan wrote:
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Svante Signell
<svante.signell@telia.com> wrote:
On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 12:19 +0200, darkestkhan wrote:
Hi all,

I have some trouble with building adabrowse (with both of: the one
from AdaCore and the one from Debian sid (I have libasis-2010-dev
installed on my system (which is up-to-date Debian sid))
Running make generates errors about lack of asis source in
ADA_INCLUDE_PATH. How exactly did you build it?

The adabrowse package is already built:
https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=adabrowse&suite=sid

https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=adabrowse&suite=wheezy
apt-get install adabrowse

I know - the thing is that I have to build it on another system and
as source from AdaCore doesn't build it correctly (to be more
correct: asis doesn't build form sources they are distributing so I
thought building from Debian may solve the problem (and yet I didn't
thought build it from Debian on Debian machine)

The way Debian builds ASIS and AdaBrowse is *very* complicated because
Debian does *not* use the GNAT GPL Edition compiler.  And it does not
apply to platforms other than Debian, that don't patch GNAT or ASIS
like Debian does.

So for your other platform you need GNAT GPL Edition:

- install the binaries of the GNAT GPL Edition compiler
- install the sources of ASIS from the *same* GNAT GPL Edition
- compile ASIS from source using the GNAT GPL Edition compiler by
  following the instructions supplied in the sources *exactly*.

It is critically important that the ASIS you build come from the same
GPL Edition as the compiler because ASIS and the compiler are tightly
coupled.  So, beware of your $PATH when building ASIS and make sure
that you use GNAT GPL Edition and not /usr/bin/gnatmake.

If you still get problems please report them completely and exactly.
Vague questions can only bring you vague answers.

After you've compiled ASIS you'll need to install ASIS (i.e. "make
install" or its equivalent, as documented in the sources).  Only then
will you be able to build adabrowse from the sources at SourceForge.