Re: [RFH] for gnatpython

* xavier grave <xavier.grave@ipno.in2p3.fr>, 2011-09-26, 23:41:
I have started to package it [3] or [4], reading [5]. But I'm not a Python developer. So I'd like to know if somebody from the Debian Python Team can review my work and when the package reach Debian Python Policy standards upload it ?

It'd easier for us if you if you built source package and uploaded it somewhere, e.g. to mentors.debian.net. I doubt many people here are familiar with monotone... But anyway, while I probably won't be able to sponsor it, here's my very quick and incomplete review:

You get-orig-source is crazy. You can't create (and then remove!) stuff outside the package directory just like that!

This:
	rm -f `find . -name '*.py[co]'`
could be written as
	find . -name '*.py[co]' -delete
which is more readable (IMO).

The dance you do in the install-stamp target looks very, and I believe that it now (since 2.7 is the default version) makes your package fails to build. Just pass --install-layout=deb to setup.py, and it'll install stuff in the right places[0].

You use python-support, but you don't depend on it. (BTW, lintian would tell you that...)

Build-dependency on python-dev is also missing. (BTW, you would easily notice it if you built your package in a minimal environment.)

As per Python Policy 2.2, the package name should be python-gnatpython.

Binaries in /usr/bin/ are very generic. Please consider renaming them.

It's recommended to build extension modules for all supported Python versions, not only for the default one.

The size of -doc package is only 4KB. Why it has to be separate?

[0] --install-layout=deb works since squeeze. If you are interested in producing a package easily backportable to other distribution, there are tricks to do it, just ask. :)

--
Jakub Wilk