Re: Transition to gnat-4.6

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 07:37:17AM -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:

> Proposed rule:
>     If a binary package build-depends on gnat (ie, it is an Ada
>     package), and the package name changes only by incrementing a number
>     (ie it is an aliversion change [ref debian ada policy]), then it is
>     not considered a new package for the upload queues.

If you do not extend the exception to the soversion, it is seldom
useful. It would not ease this gnat upgrade, as both versions change
in this case. If you do, allmost any shared library maintainer could
formulate the same claim.

Any maintainer can make his package Build-Depend on gnat, or imitate a
shared library to fake whatever automatic test I can imagine.