Re: Improving in-place upgrades of Ada packages from Lenny to Squeeze

Stephen Leake wrote:
> Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:
>> The reason for all this is that when a package libX2-dev Conflicts:
with
>> and Replaces: a package libX1-dev, aptitude does not remove libX1-dev
>> and install libX2-dev; instead, it marks libX1-dev as broken and leaves
>> libX2-dev uninstalled.
>
> This seems like a clear bug in aptitude.
>
> Debian policy 7.6.2 says that Replaces: with Conflicts: should cause the
> old package to be removed, and the new package to be installed, so why
> doesn't this work?

That's because there is no conflict until the user asks for installation
of the new package; 7.6.2 says the old package must go only in case of a
conflict.  So, I would not characterize the behavior of aptitude as a
bug, merely an annoyance.