Re: Improving in-place upgrades of Ada packages from Lenny to Squeeze

On Tue, 25 May 2010 23:19:10 +0200 Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> Over the last two weeks I have been testing upgrades of Ada packages
> from Lenny to Sid and Squeeze in a chroot.  The picture is not as pretty
> as it should be.
> The following packages are "obsolete or locally created" but not marked
> as broken (even though they are); in Lenny, they lack a dependency on
> gnat-4.3:
>
> * libahven-dev             (libahven1-dev available)

I don't understand package versioning very well (even after reading the
policy), so I am asking where the version number "1" comes from?

In the Ahven itself, there isn't anything magical in the version
numbers. For every release I increase the version number by 0.1. There
might be some API or ABI changes, but those have no effect on version
number increases.

At the moment, Ahven is at 1.x, but 2.0 will be logical continuation of
1.9 and there are no major incompatible changes planned for 2.0
(or 3.0).

So, because of Ahven's version numbers, you don't need to add "1" to
the package name.

--
Tero Koskinen <tero.koskinen@iki.fi>